PR Manager (Boston, MA) Code: 13-109
As part of the company’s expansion, my client has reconfigured its Marketing & Communications function to enable it to support Client’s repositioning, manage reputation and embed specialist marketing and communications capabilities within the business. The Marketing & Communications team of around 30 individuals supports Client to:
- Raise awareness of the company, its products, services and people
- Create differentiation in our markets as we reposition Company as a thought leader and a market leader
- Broaden our sphere of influence and stakeholder reach
- Support business pipeline development
- Protect our reputation through proactive issues preparation and management
- Facilitate new contacts for the business
- Deliver marketing and communications in a coordinated and accountable way
Role Duties and Responsibilities
The duties outlined are not exhaustive and may change from time to time as reflective of a growing company.
• Develop with the Global Director of PR and Media a PR strategy for Company
• Develop and implement an annual PR plan to drive media coverage
• Identify and build relationships with key journalists and external opinion-formers in priority markets, sectors and geographies to enable company thought leadership to be communicated (including on areas of public sensitivity and potential controversy)
• Act as primary contact and spokesperson for media in US
• Provide a briefing and coaching role to management and leadership in Company to equip them to effectively represent the business in the media, particularly to trade and sector press, but also to a number of key nationals
• Advise on key stakeholders in think-tanks, government etc.
• Proactively drive and generate positive news coverage for by identifying opportunities, developing key messages and actively briefing the media
• Communicate messages with authority
• Support majority of interview opportunities
• Leverage central communications materials and tailor them for the Americas audience
• Put in appropriate plans and processes to ensure running of an effective media function
• Work with Global Director of PR and Media to define a shortlist and recruit PR agency support in North America
• Liaise with Americas PR agency and manage on a day-to-day basis
• In accordance with a leading technology company operating at the forefront of developments, ensure all forms of media are used creatively and appropriately
Skills and Experience
• Around five years’ experience in media relations, with at least a few years’ experience of working in-house in a corporate environment
• PR agency experience a distinct advantage
• US media relations experience essential, with technology media experience an advantage
• Familiarity with working (agency or in-house) with organizations, such as consultancies or professional services firms, who are largely selling intangible services or services revolving around intellectual capital is advantageous
• Ability to act both independently and work with a team
• An acute sense of what constitutes news worthiness and how to create impact in all forms of media.
• A thorough understanding of all forms of media
• Experience of handling complex issues and crisis
• A commercially orientated approach such that there is a real focus on media relations activity contributing to business success
• An ability to grasp complex issues, see the bigger picture in terms of reputation, brand and positioning, and distil these into key messages and themes.
• Strong writing skills, including an ability to convey technical and detailed information effectively to a variety of audiences
• A pro-active approach to engaging with the business and harnessing line support and involvement in delivering parts of the communications and marketing plans
• An ability to operate effectively and gain credibility in an intellectually demanding environment
• An ability to remain calm even when handling a large number of competing demands on time and energy
• A collaborative approach to working with colleagues in communications and marketing.
• An ability and willingness to be available and accessible including outside of normal working hours.
To find out more contact us at:
Jon Freehling President
The Profile Group, Inc. (Technical Placement Firm)
607 North Ave. Suite #14
Wakefield, MA 01880