As part of the company’s expansion, my client has reconfigured its Marketing & Communications function to enable it to support Client’s repositioning, manage reputation and embed specialist marketing and communications capabilities within the business. The Marketing & Communications team of around 30 individuals supports Client to:
Raise awareness of the company, its products, services and people
Create differentiation in our markets as we reposition Company as a thought leader and a market leader
Broaden our sphere of influence and stakeholder reach
Support business pipeline development
Protect our reputation through proactive issues preparation and management
Facilitate new contacts for the business
Deliver marketing and communications in a coordinated and accountable way
Role Duties and Responsibilities
The duties outlined are not exhaustive and may change from time to time as reflective of a growing company.
• Develop with the Global Director of PR and Media a PR strategy for Company
• Develop and implement an annual PR plan to drive media coverage
• Identify and build relationships with key journalists and external opinion-formers in priority markets, sectors and geographies to enable company thought leadership to be communicated (including on areas of public sensitivity and potential controversy)
• Act as primary contact and spokesperson for media in US
• Provide a briefing and coaching role to management and leadership in Company to equip them to effectively represent the business in the media, particularly to trade and sector press, but also to a number of key nationals
• Advise on key stakeholders in think-tanks, government etc.
• Proactively drive and generate positive news coverage for by identifying opportunities, developing key messages and actively briefing the media
• Communicate messages with authority
• Support majority of interview opportunities
• Leverage central communications materials and tailor them for the Americas audience
• Put in appropriate plans and processes to ensure running of an effective media function
• Work with Global Director of PR and Media to define a shortlist and recruit PR agency support in North America
• Liaise with Americas PR agency and manage on a day-to-day basis
• In accordance with a leading technology company operating at the forefront of developments, ensure all forms of media are used creatively and appropriately
Skills and Experience
• Around five years’ experience in media relations, with at least a few years’ experience of working in-house in a corporate environment
• PR agency experience a distinct advantage
• US media relations experience essential, with technology media experience an advantage
• Familiarity with working (agency or in-house) with organizations, such as consultancies or professional services firms, who are largely selling intangible services or services revolving around intellectual capital is advantageous
• Ability to act both independently and work with a team
• An acute sense of what constitutes news worthiness and how to create impact in all forms of media.
• A thorough understanding of all forms of media
• Experience of handling complex issues and crisis
• A commercially orientated approach such that there is a real focus on media relations activity contributing to business success
• An ability to grasp complex issues, see the bigger picture in terms of reputation, brand and positioning, and distil these into key messages and themes.
• Strong writing skills, including an ability to convey technical and detailed information effectively to a variety of audiences
• A pro-active approach to engaging with the business and harnessing line support and involvement in delivering parts of the communications and marketing plans
• An ability to operate effectively and gain credibility in an intellectually demanding environment
• An ability to remain calm even when handling a large number of competing demands on time and energy
• A collaborative approach to working with colleagues in communications and marketing.
• An ability and willingness to be available and accessible including outside of normal working hours.
To find out more contact us at:
Jon Freehling President The Profile Group, Inc.(Technical Placement Firm) 607 North Ave. Suite #14 Wakefield, MA 01880